At Monell, our employees are our most prized assets. To ensure that we remain successful, we are continually searching for individuals from diverse backgrounds and disciplines who can contribute to the growth and mission of the Center.
Research at Monell contributes to a wide range of scientific and practical knowledge. Through the efforts of more than fifty Ph.D.-level scientists and a highly-talented support staff, the Center is making major progress in increasing our understanding of both how the chemical senses function and their impact on our everyday life.
Monell is an equal opportunity employer.
You may apply for positions posted on this site by fax, mail or email. Please be sure to reference the position title in all correspondence.
Fax: Send a cover letter and a resume to 215-898-2084.
Mail: Monell Chemical Senses Center
Attn: Human Resources Administrator
3500 Market Street
Philadelphia PA 19104-3308
Scientific Staff Openings
All positions require a Ph.D. or M.D. in the appropriate field(s) and experience as indicated.
The Monell Chemical Senses Center is the world’s premier institute devoted to basic, multidisciplinary research on the mechanisms and function of olfaction, gustation and chemesthesis. We are currently inviting applications for full-time junior or senior faculty positions. We seek outstanding investigators from diverse disciplines who are interested in pursuing research in olfaction and/or nutrition, metabolism or appetite related to the chemical senses. Applicants with interest and experience in clinically relevant research programs are especially encouraged to apply. Candidates must possess a Ph.D. or M.D. and have postdoctoral experience. The successful junior candidate will be expected to develop and fund an independent research program and collaborate with colleagues at the Center. Senior level applicants should have a well-established and funded research program with a potential for growth and collaboration.
The Monell Center is adjacent to the University of Pennsylvania and Drexel University in Philadelphia. Further information about the Center can be found at http://www.monell.org.
A postdoctoral position is currently available for research in the molecular mechanisms of taste stem cells and chemosensory cells of the gut (Stem Cells 31, 992-1000, 2013; PNAS 111, 16401-16406, 2014). Candidates with a PhD or equivalent degree in molecular biology, genetics, neuroscience, immunology, physiology or related field are preferred. A background in chemosensory research is not required. Stipend is in accordance with NIH standards. This position is supported by NIH and industry grants.
Address applications to Dr. Peihua Jiang | Required Documents: C.V., brief statement of research interests, and names of 3 references
Apply at http://apply.interfolio.com/34787
Monell is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and minorities.
Research Staff Openings
All positions require a minimum Bachelors degree in the appropriate field(s) and experience as indicated.
A full-time research technician position is available in the Mainland lab to assist with studies on human smell perception. A fundamental problem in neuroscience is mapping the physical properties of a stimulus to perceptual characteristics. In vision, wavelength translates into color; in audition, frequency translates into pitch. By contrast, the mapping from chemical structure to olfactory perception is unknown. In other words, there is not a scientist or perfumer in the world who can view a novel molecular structure and predict how it will smell. Our research is focused on relating molecular structure to olfactory perception using both psychophysics and molecular biology.
Primary responsibilities include sample preparation, data scoring/organization, and subject testing support.
The ideal candidate must be highly organized, detail oriented and able to work independently. Experience with Institutional Review Board procedures, Microsoft Access and human subject testing is preferred. A bachelor’s degree in psychology, neuroscience or a related field is required. To apply for this position, please go to http://apply.interfolio.com/34468
Monell is an equal opportunity employer.
The Accounts Payable and Vendor Relations Coordinator is responsible for accurately processing payment for vendor invoices and check requests, proper general ledger coding, and coordination of vendor relations. The successful candidate will also assist with the preparation of annual 1099 forms.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Review and issue payment checks for vendor invoices and specific payment requests;
- Process check and reimbursement requests from scientists, technical and administrative staff;
- Research and resolve invoice discrepancies, issues, and misapplied payments;
- Match purchase orders to vendor invoices and parking slips;
- Ensure accurate general ledger coding of vouchers;
- Prepare a monthly reconciliation of all accounts payable listings with the general ledger;
- Initiate stop payment requests and provide documentation of cancelled checks to the Sr. Accountant for processing;
- Review computerized accounts payable (A/P) printouts for accuracy;
- Provide guidance and training for co-op students;
- Assist with preparation of annual 1099 forms and keep record of all applicable payments on Excel;
- Responsible for administration of the petty cash account; and
- Assist with other projects as needed.
Education & Experience
Minimum requirements for the position:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration, or related business field;
- 3-5 years accounts payable and/or general accounting, and business administration experience;
- Experience with working at nonprofit, tax-exempt environment preferred;
- Familiar with fund accounting ledger system;
- Ability to perform in a fast paced, high volume invoice environment;
- Strong problem solving skills; ability to quickly identify and provide resolution steps for issues;
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills;
- Detailed oriented and ability to meet goals or deadlines;
- Can work both independently & in a multi-task, dynamic, team environment;
- Adapt quickly to new processes and procedures;
- Excellent time management skills to organize and prioritize;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and other accounts payable software; and
- Able to analyze large and complex data in Excel.
To apply for this position, please go to https://apply.interfolio.com/35252
“The first time I came to Monell, I was struck by the spirit that pervades the place. It was thrilling to see scientists 20 and 30 years into their research careers bubbling over with energy, excitement and ideas. I was — and remain — enchanted by the opportunities for cross-fertilization.”
Pamela Dalton, Ph.D. Environmental and Occupational Health Psychologist