The Monell Chemical Senses Center is a not-for-profit research institute in West Philadelphia. Our research programs include studies on taste, smell, and sensory perception, as well as research to understand human health, development and behavior.
This page lists Monell studies that currently are seeking volunteer participants. We invite you to look below for studies that may interest you.
All studies have been approved by the University of Pennsylvania Institutional Review Board.
Relatives and Friends of Children and Adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorders
Ad posted 4/16/2014 and recruitment is open until 9/18/2014.
Need Volunteers for Smell Study
Adults are needed for a smell study at the Monell Chemical Senses Center. Eligible to healthy adults (men and women) ages 18-40. People are ineligible if they have a known heart condition, have undergone chemotherapy or radiation treatment, have broken their nose, or have had nasal surgery. Compensation is $15, given after the study is completed.
- One visit (1 hour) during which you will be asked to smell different odors.
- Location at Monell Chemical Senses Center; 3508 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19104.
Ad posted 3/25/2014 and recruitment is open until 6/16/2014.
Aversive olfactory learning
Adults are needed for the taste perception study at Monell Chemical Senses Center.
- Subjects will be asked to attend 8 one-hour sessions.
- The study takes 6-7 weeks to complete.
- The maximum compensation for the participation is $200.
We are conveniently located at 3500 Market Street, Philadelphia PA, 19104.
Ad posted 2/18/2013 and recruiting open until 12/31/2014.
Subjects Needed for Taste Research
· Study: Emotional and Physiological Responses to Strong Taste Stimuli.
· Where: Monell Chemical Senses Center, 3500 Market Street..
· When: Study Starting Now.
Ad posted 5/6/13 and recruiting open until 1/8/2015.
STUDIES FOR MEN
Volunteers needed to participate in a study on human earwax and body odors.
• Where: Monell Chemical Senses Center (3500 Market Street, Philadelphia)
• Who: Healthy, non-smoking males between the ages of 21–40. We are recruiting males of Asian, African, and Caucasian descent.
• What: Sweat secretions from underarm areas and earwax samples will be collected using non-invasive techniques.
For 8-10 days prior to testing, subjects will be asked to wash (upper body and hair) with a fragrance-free liquid soap (provided) and not permitted to any colognes/sprays, roll-on or stick underarm deodorants, antiperspirants, and/or lotions on their upper body.
Following this period, subjects will be instructed to wear cotton pads or T-shirts (provided) under their clothing for 3-5 consecutive days in order to collect sweat. Subjects will then visit the Monell Center on three separate occasions for earwax and saliva collection. Each visit will last one hour or less.
All participants will receive $100 following completion of the study.
Ad posted 03/14/2013 and recruiting open until 1/30/2015.
STUDIES FOR WOMEN
Stress Reduction and Effects on Mood (Study 3)
Women between the ages of 18-45 may qualify for a research study looking at the effect of stress and relaxation on physiological state and psychological functioning. This study involves 1 visit to the Monell Center which may last up to 2 hours.
Ad posted 3/18/14 and recruitment is open until 3/18/15.
STUDIES FOR CHILDREN
There are no studies at this time.
STUDIES FOR PREGNANT WOMEN, NEW MOTHERS, AND THEIR BABIES
Pregnant Women and New Mothers
Pregnant women and new mothers are needed for a 15-month research study on mothers’ taste preferences and how babies grow and learn to like new foods.
- Study will begin when the baby is 2 weeks of age and will require 12 visits to the Monell Center.
- Mothers will be paid for their participation, with payments totaling $950, plus transportation costs.
If interested, please call the Monell Center at (267) 519-4888.
Ad posted 7/27/2012 and recruitment open until 1/6/2015.