The Monell Chemical Senses Center is a not-for-profit research institute in West Philadelphia. Our research programs include studies on taste, smell, and sensory perception, as well as research to understand human health, development and behavior.
This page lists Monell studies that currently are seeking volunteer participants. We invite you to look below for studies that may interest you.
Questions about individual studies should be addressed to the research coordinator listed and general questions about this page and its content should be addressed to Dennis at 267-519-4813 or .
All studies have been approved by the University of Pennsylvania Institutional Review Board.
Adults are needed for the taste perception study at Monell Chemical Senses Center.
- Subjects will be asked to attend 8 one-hour sessions.
- The study takes 6-7 weeks to complete.
- The maximum compensation for the participation is $200.
We are conveniently located at 3500 Market Street, Philadelphia PA, 19104.
If interested in participation please contact Anna at or 267-519-4807
Ad posted 2/18/2013 and recruiting open until 1/7/2014.
Subjects Needed for Taste Research
· Study: Emotional and Physiological Responses to Strong Taste Stimuli.
· Where: Monell Chemical Senses Center, 3500 Market Street..
· When: Study Starting Now.
Contact: Michael at (267)519-4777 or for details.
Ad posted 5/6/13 and recruiting open until 1/7/2014.
Do You Have Type 2 Diabetes?
Volunteers Needed for Sweet Receptor Taste Study
We are seeking volunteers for a study examining the relationship between sweet taste receptors and hormone release.
You may qualify if you are:
· Age 18-40
· A male OR a female taking hormonal birth control
· Using only dietary intervention or metformin to control your diabetes
Study involves 1 screening visit and 3 overnight stays at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) over a 3 week period, with each visit lasting approximately 24 hours.
You will be asked to fast before each visit.
Blood will be drawn during each visit.
Study also requires consuming beverages containing either glucose or lactisole (a sweet taste blocker) or both.
Please email us at for more information.
Ad posted 12/12/2012 and recruiting open until 11/1/2013.
STUDIES FOR MEN
Volunteers needed to participate in a study on human earwax and body odors.
• Where: Monell Chemical Senses Center (3500 Market Street, Philadelphia)
• Who: Healthy, non-smoking males between the ages of 21–40. We are recruiting males of Asian, African, and Caucasian descent.
• What: Sweat secretions from underarm areas and earwax samples will be collected using non-invasive techniques.
For 8-10 days prior to testing, subjects will be asked to wash (upper body and hair) with a fragrance-free liquid soap (provided) and not permitted to any colognes/sprays, roll-on or stick underarm deodorants, antiperspirants, and/or lotions on their upper body.
Following this period, subjects will be instructed to wear cotton pads or T-shirts (provided) under their clothing for 3-5 consecutive days in order to collect sweat. Subjects will then visit the Monell Center on three separate occasions for earwax and saliva collection. Each visit will last one hour or less.
All participants will receive $100 following completion of the study.
To sign up or for more information please contact Dr. Prigge at 267-519-4924 or .
Ad posted 03/14/2013 and recruiting open until 02/03/2014.
STUDIES FOR CHILDREN
Mothers and their children (5-10 years) are needed for a 2-session research study on taste preferences and health at the Monell Center in Philadelphia.
- Mothers will be paid for their participation.
If interested, please call (267) 519-4888.
Ad posted 3/10/2011 and recruitment is open until 4/20/2013.
STUDIES FOR PREGNANT WOMEN, NEW MOTHERS, AND THEIR BABIES
Pregnant Women and New Mothers
Pregnant women and new mothers are needed for a 15-month research study on mothers’ taste preferences and how babies grow and learn to like new foods.
- Study will begin when the baby is 2 weeks of age and will require 12 visits to the Monell Center.
- Mothers will be paid for their participation, with payments totaling $950, plus transportation costs.
If interested, please call the Monell Center at (267) 519-4888.
Ad posted 7/27/2012 and recruitment open until 6/7/2013.